Speaking & Workshops
You want your event remembered as one where people learned something useful and enjoyed themselves.
You want new concepts and unique perspectives presented in a refreshing, interactive way, with give-and-take between audience members and the speaker.
And you really, really don’t want PowerPoint bullets.
I love seeing my audience wake up to the topic, engaging with each other and with me as they learn, ask questions, express opinions and feelings – and laugh out loud.
People at my presentations think, interact, enjoy, and learn. They leave with new perspectives, new ways of thinking about themselves, and practical ideas they can put into practice immediately.
All topics are available as a keynote, breakout session, or extended workshop.
Negotiation for Nice People: achieve your goals and strengthen your relationships
You’d rather compromise than risk damaging important relationships.
You’re frustrated because people don’t respond when you ask for what you want.
You’d really like to be able to achieve your goals without being viewed as demanding, pushy, or tough.
- Understand the relevance of tactical empathy in tough negotiations
- Realize why traditional negotiation practices often lead to dissatisfaction on all sides
- Practice and use new tools for empathetic understanding within negotiations
- Become a better negotiator than you ever expected – without damaging your relationships
Ghosts, zombies, and other barriers to communication
You’ve experienced it: that moment when a conversation goes badly wrong, and you don’t know why.
It’s simple: you were ghosted … or maybe zombied. (Yes, ghosts and zombies are real, and yes, they will haunt you and eat your brains – though not like in the movies!)
- Define communication ghosts and zombies and explain their relevance, so you can
- Recognize their presence in your life, realizing how and why they undermine communication and may even wreck relationships, and then
- Work with and manage them, so you can
- Communicate effectively with the important people in your life in a clear, clean, honest way
Saying No and Staying Nice: reclaim your schedule, strengthen your relationships
It’s a short, all-too-well trodden path from yes to overwhelmed – and then on to frustrated and resentful.
Yet it’s hard to say no to someone we like – someone needing help – and especially our boss!
This program avoids the tired cliches (no oxygen masks required!) while providing practical, applicable, easy-to-remember ways to say no while still staying nice.
- Realize that you really can say no without alienating people, and then
- Learn why focus is the key to avoiding overwhelm-by-yes, so you’re prepared to
- Choose between three primary ways to say no (while staying nice), and
- Discover what to do when you can’t say no.
Office politics: the elephant in the conference room
Oh, the perils of office politics … and oh, how much we all hate to play that game!
Yet when you shift your perspective and recognize what politics really involve (it’s not what you think), you gain important communication skills that you can feel good about using.
- Use four key concepts to unlock the mystery of heartfelt, non-icky politics, so you can
- Act from a new, more meaningful definition of office politics, which means you’ll
- Radically improve your communication skills, and
- Succeed in making interpersonal politics work for you – with integrity
Book me to speak at your event or conduct a workshop
Let’s set a time to discuss location, schedule, and topic. Feel free to put yourself on my calendar (below), or contact me here.
My speaking and teaching experience includes
- National Council for Marketing & Public Relations (keynote at the District 6 Annual Conference)
- The Global Campus, University of Arkansas
- University of California, San Diego (UCSD) – Faculty and Staff Programs
- UCSD Extension, Career and Life Stages Seminars
- Mira Costa Community College, Community Outreach Programs
- The Association for Talent Development (ATD), San Diego (annual conference breakout)
- The Association for Talent Development (ATD), Northwest Arkansas chapter
- The Project Management Institute (PMI), San Diego (annual conference breakout)
- Northwest Arkansas Technology Summit / Business Breakthrough U
- Northwest Arkansas BizCon
- The Self-Employment Telesummit (2010 and 2011)
- National Association of Women Business Owners (multiple chapters)
- Genentech Professional Women’s Group
- Women in Teradata
- Women in Technology International (WITI), San Diego
- Arvest Investing in Women
- American Busineswomen’s Association (ABWA) (multiple chapters)
- The Carlsbad, California Chamber of Commerce
- The Greater Bentonville, Arkansas Chamber of Commerce